Tuesday 23 June 2015

Flickering Lightbulbs on the Road to Damascus.

I've written some passable stories along with some half-decent blogs, but never before blogged about writing. This is probably because the machinations of my creative processes are a mystery, even to me, and a lot of the time I'm not really sure what I'm doing. That is especially true right now, with reference to my now-you-see-it-now-you-don't novel, Brockberrow.
            
        Brockberrow has been bugging me spasmodically for twelve years, the first draft reaching 66,000 words, but progress ceased about two years in when a well-meaning associate murmured, "It's amusing, but nothing ever happens,"  I sulked for a couple of years, then had a fresh look, cut out lots of crap and several characters, and ended up with just 25,000 relevant words, but although I had a plot outline right through to the finish, it stalled again. After two or three more false starts, I shrugged, curled my lip and shelved it in perpetuity, but one morning recently, in those surreal seconds between waking and actually becoming functional, I had a lightbulb moment, which I knew immediately would Change Everything.                                                                                                              
              It was suddenly obvious that two early chapters of Brockberrow, chapters that I regarded as priceless literary pearls, were completely irrelevant, and that Griswold, my main character, was a boring sod, although crucially, not sufficiently boring to the point where he ever became interesting. Griswold would have to completely re-invent himself if he wanted his contract renewed and the book would now also need a New Beginning. Imbued, now, with the zeal of the newly converted, I set about the task -  only to find three brand new opening chapters that I'd written twelve months ago, this following a Damascene experience, (same as a lightbulb moment, but experienced when fully conscious) during which it was revealed that I'd not started the book at its logical beginning and that All Would Be Well if I remedied that. 
            
           I'm not quite sure how I managed to disremember my Damascene experience, or the three(beautifully crafted) chapters, but at least it proves my earlier statement that a lot of the time I'm not really sure what I'm doing
           
          Still, all is not lost. My much loved chapters will edit down nicely to make a 4000 word short story and I've found a competition calling for entries that combine humorous with weird, three goes for a tenner. I have humorous and weird in my files in spades. What can possibly go wrong?

4 comments:

  1. Humerous and weird, and three for a tenner? A competition made for you, old bean - go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got nothing to lose, and all to win. Go for it. And get on with Brockberrow: a man of your talent can make it work. Lorraine (alias Mrs Bear).
    p.s.I didn't mean to delete that - just thought you might not know it was me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humorous and weird. It's a done deal.

    ReplyDelete